~*RANDOM RATTLES*~

A blog where I randomly pick something to write about...
It's a place I write when I'm bored...
It's here I put in my random thoughts of what I think of other things...
Basically, it's just me rattling...

Thursday, June 16, 2011

LITERALLY ON THE ROAD TO MALACCA

1st of May, and it was a long weekend because we had an extra Labour Day holiday.

My friend, King Kong and I planned the trip 2 weeks back I think but as the day draws closer, I was sooooo friggin' tired that I suggested that we call it off! Two days of rest can do A LOT in terms of energy replenishing.

But I'm glad that King Kong got angry with me (because she wanted to try her layered cake) and 'forced' me to get my lazy butt off the bed and do something exciting.

So that beautiful morning, I chirped up and embraced the highway towards Malacca.
The journey towards Malacca saw me chiming along the rhythms of my favourite songs, and not forgetting my infamous driving dances that can be pretty embarrassing for those around me, but I've learned to say "who cares" haha. I just love to drive and move my body at the same time.

All went on smoothly until we hit a jam at the exit towards Malacca.
Dang! Our fears that Malacca would be jam-packed on public holidays had just materialised. So the Kong and I were stuck at the exit, all the way to the toll. The traffic condition continued to be a spoil-sport after the toll as we were moving at the speed of a turtle, and my hyper-activeness and dance moves died after 30 minutes in the jam. Way to go!

After crawling our way towards town, I gave up driving and suggested we park our car in the outskirts of town instead. At that point, I have faith that I can walk faster than cars, yes, I am SUPERWOMAN. And I was right.

King Kong and I 'dumped' the car on an empty land somewhere in the middle of nowhere and we snapped photos of the surrounding shop lots so that we can find the car (or at least, someone else can find it) later.

This was where we parked

Then we put our feet to work.
Walking as swiftly as superwoman, we glide across the sides of the road, passing by all the cars that are lining up on the road. 



I was busy snapping pictures of the town along the way, while King Kong was the tour guide who was frantically searching for Jonker Street so that we can have our much anticipated Laksa for lunch. I feel bad because King Kong is always the one doing all the hard work, while I practically don't care about finding my way because...oh well, I am always the kind who likes to go wherever the wind takes me haha. So in Malacca, I just go wherever the Kong takes me. :)




But Kong is good...she found Jonker Street after she asked directions from a dude who she described as "has a decent and trustworthy look".

Jonker Street!

I've heard loads about it but it's been years since I visited Malacca and to be honest, I have the vaguest memories on how the city looks like. So there I was, in the middle of Jonker Street, looking for Laksa. I saw a line of hungry people in front of the Chicken Rice balls shop....I'm too hungry to wait so I bid farewell to the rice balls and headed straight behind King Kong to the Laksa shop, excitingly anticipating the sweet and sour spicy taste of one of my favourite local delights. In my mind, I kept thinking that "THIS LAKSA HAD BETTER BE THE BEST AND AWESOMEST ONE I'VE TASTED BECAUSE I'D LITERALLY WALKED MILES FOR IT!"
The line for The Chicken Rice Balls

As we walk towards the shop, it started drizzling. 
King Kong volunteered to line up for the Laksa, while I am in-charged of sauna-ing myself inside the shop and find a table. 

So if there's a split-screen to describe this screen, you'd see King Kong lining up in the rain, with a dude holding an umbrella and chatting with her, while I'm inside standing up, playing Angry Birds, while waiting for a family to finish up their meals so that I can grab their table.

Timing was awesome because once my butt touches the chair, I saw King Kong with two bowls of Laksa, walking in.
AWESOME!
We chowed down the noodles and I bought us cendol! 

So was the Laksa worth the extra mile? Yes!


After our Laksa, we headed to our next stop - Nadeje Cake House for the layered cake that Kong had been craving and basically, it was Kong's main reason for the trip.


We got a bit lost at first, trying to locate the shop and it was victory for us when we managed to find it. But our spirits were hampered once again when we understand from the shop that their cakes are all sold out and there were more than 50 people waiting for more cakes. 

Disappointed and tired, the almost dead King Kong and I proceeded to leave when another miracle happened. THE CAKES ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once again, we quickly get ourselves in line for a taste of this infamous layered cake. The two girls in front of me had this exaggerated  review of the cakes...telling each other how great the cakes are and how they can finish one whole cake by themselves. "Excuse me?"

I hear myself saying once again "THIS LAYERED CAKE HAD BETTER BE THE BEST AND AWESOMEST ONE I'VE TASTED BECAUSE I'D LITERALLY WALKED EXTRA MILES TO SEARCH FOR IT!

So it was finally us at the counter purchasing the cakes and although there were limited cakes to go around, we got ourselves two slices - one chocolate and one original.

The shop was so packed that we had to eat the cake somewhere else and so we went to Starbucks so that I could have my Frappuccino to go with the cake. Starbucks was also packed with homo sapiens, but I guess it was a lot better than the cake house. At least I could breathe there. In a couple of minutes, we found ourselves a spot and enjoyed a short tea break before we tried to figure out how to get back to our cars.

The layered cake was really good and I guess I know why people are crazy over it. But if you ask me, I would not go through THAT MUCH just for the cake. It wasn't overrated, but I guess I am just not the type who would swim through a river full of crocodiles just to get a taste of sweet.

Yes, the cakes were good. But make sure you pre-order it so that you don't end up lining up like us fools haha...

At around 6pm, we started mapping our way back to our car. If we were iPhones, I guess our energy level would be around 18%, so we decided to scrap off the idea of WALKING BACK TOWARDS THE CAR. But the challenge was getting a cab because there was none who would stop to greet us, let alone pick us up and ferry us back to our starting point. So we dragged ourselves to the nearest hotel and asked if they could help get us a cab. The nice hotel staffs contacted the taxi service but told us that the taxi driver is stuck in a jam and so we would need to wait.

I seized the opportunity to take a quick nap at the hotel lobby. Yep, I am not sure if I should be impressed with myself or not, but I realised that since I started working, I have developed the ability to sleep under whatever circumstances, and basically it doesn't really matter where I am.

So I told Kong to wake me up once the cab is here and so as I doze off, she busied herself with her iPhone. When the cab came, we hopped on it and we were lucky to find the car safe and sound. :)
King Kong did not waste any time during my nap as she was busy editing a photo of me sleeping on her iPhone. What the heck!

The journey to Malacca ended on a high for me I had a blast although it was tiring. 
No regrets at all! I'm so glad I went because the trip is another great addition to the journey I called my life. :)

"Trippin'" with one of your good buddies is always the best!

P/S:
It's been TWO MONTHS!
TWO WHOLE MONTHS since I last contributed in this space of mind.
What the heck! 
Life has been awesome and crappy at the same time.

Trying to let my passion flow through my veins again, I did some traveling and I'm so excited that I finally have time to write about my trips. :)
Next up: Singapore trip!


With Lotsa Love,
TammyC


No comments:

Post a Comment