~*RANDOM RATTLES*~

A blog where I randomly pick something to write about...
It's a place I write when I'm bored...
It's here I put in my random thoughts of what I think of other things...
Basically, it's just me rattling...

Thursday, June 24, 2010

THE ALLURING JALAN ALOR

There are many places to get good food in Malaysia but if you ask, "where can I get food food in KL?" to any KLites, perhaps you'll find one place that gets a unanimous support of everyone is...Jalan Alor!

Throughout my 4 years in KL, I've heard the sizzles about the delicious food along Jalan Alor, especially the 'siew kai yik' (chicken wings). I guess I did my taste-buds injustice for not bringing myself to Jalan Alor for the food there. That is until my boss decided to treat us all to some super juicy siew kai yik!

Well it's not like I've never been to Jalan Alor before. Previously, when I was working as a production assistant, the film crew actually did a few scenes nearby Jalan Alor. It's just that I don't have the time to go there to enjoy the food although I practically pass by that place every single day and even went a couple of times to the cyber cafe there to print stuff. My dad and I went for breakfast along Jalan Alor before, but seriously, Jalan Alor during the day is equivalent to a vampire during the day....erm....get the picture? It lacks the 'umphhh'...the Alor-ness.

So Jalan Alor is to KL what Gurney Drive is to Penang. Oh well, in sort, these are food paradises...So two days ago, that was where we were headed.

As we approached the famous street, we first feasted upon the sight of beautiful multi-colour lighted stalls, each one of them emanating their own unique scent that worked like hooks that pulls you towards the source of food action. It really did not help curb my hunger and  I was already picturing the mouth-watering chicken wings in my mouth.

I think besides the food, Jalan Alor gives us something more - a uniquely Malaysian feeling. Malaysia is truly Malaysia when you see the colours of Jalan Alor. I know many would hate the crowds that cramp the place, the noisy buzz and the pungent smell of smoke that chokes along the road, but I just love that kinda atmosphere. I love to be part of such unique sights and sounds - a melting pot of various cultures.

Finally the moment I've been waiting for....

The wings were served and we winged it...I do not want to dramatized my first bite, like those food programmes where the host usually eat the food as if that piece of roti canai is the most divine food in the world. So no 'eyes closing', finger licking moment for me. I mean the wings were good but I won't described it as a heavenly experience because I was so hungry I basically just grabbed it and chunk it in my mouth but no doubt those wings were delicious. Sadly, the rest of the food were only mediocre. 

I must say, you have to at least go there for a bite. I'm on for the food challenge already!! 
I think I'm gonna gather friends and try to explore the rest of Alor!!!

Sadly, I'm not really a photo blogger, mainly because I can't even afford a camera. 
My phone's camera, which is supposed to serve me, has a lousy weakness - it takes forever to FOCUS...and thus, I don't really have  the chance to capture moments fast enough. I mean imagine 6 hungry tigers ready to pounce on the first food in sight...and there you are taking out the camera, saying "WAIT LET ME TAKE PICTURE FIRST" and then take up a few minutes of people's makan time because your camera takes forever to focus...so, better not create such fuss right?
So mission failed and I don't have any pictures to show you. But I can still 'steal' some pictures la ahha....

Photos courtesy of Michael Yip (I don't know who he is but I just got this pic online)
And yes, the chicken wings REALLY LOOK THAT GOOD!!
That I won't lie

Then as my colleague was sending me home, we passed by Pudu!!! 
The bulldozing works were on and we saw many snapping their way with their SLR cameras. It's amazing and heartbreaking at the same time to see Pudu being reduced to shatters of tiny pieces and ashes.  

If you ask me if we should tear down this historical landmark, I am actually really kinda against it. I mean, Pudu prison has its own historical value, which had captured within its walls (and in fact, on the walls itself because of the murals) so many stories but  now, they are physically erased by a few buzzing tractors. Oh well, I guess some people might argue that the history that lies in it will live on in other fixated forms like writing etc etc.

But that being said, how can you say that this 100-year-old building is not a heritage?

Plus, how can you say that the Pudu Prison is of no use when I believe a lot of Pudu "ghosts" are residing there...okay that was meant as a stupid joke but yeah...sorry. But on a serious note, the artistic work fixated on the walls, which once set the record as the longest mural will be sacrificed in the name of road widening. Fantastic. Do you actually think that is justifiable?

I don't know, but I'm the kinda person who appreciates historical monuments, buildings and anything ancient because I love the kinda stories that comes with them. That's why I love European countries because their streets are lined with amazing architectures that preserved the historical flair. And I like it even better when there is someone who shares with me the background of the building. 

Many argue that Pudu prison is a huge "stonewaller".
But seriously, I'm very doubtful that the destruction of the Pudu walls, to make way for new roads is going to help much with the traffic. I mean, most of us knows where the problem lies, and it's not really them roads, if I were to be honest.

Look at the Jalan Loke Yew that leads me to my Cheras home. It is amazing that after about 3 years of road widening, and with the project considered completed, I'm still experiencing slow traffic. Hmmm.....okay I guess I should be happy with the word "improvement". 

Oh well, I'll leave you to ponder if Pudu Prison should stay or go - not that it makes any difference anyway because as I'm writing this, Jalan Pudu and Jalan Hang Tuah is piling stone dust due to the demolishing of the walls. I am saddened by this actually. Sigh...another tourist attraction gone. 

Good nite people!!
Exhausted and tomorrow is another day.
Going to expect a tiring weekend because this Sunday spells work.

With Lotsa Love,
TammyC


No comments:

Post a Comment