~*RANDOM RATTLES*~

A blog where I randomly pick something to write about...
It's a place I write when I'm bored...
It's here I put in my random thoughts of what I think of other things...
Basically, it's just me rattling...

Friday, January 21, 2011

SECOND TIME KUCHING

My past few days in Kuching submerged me in the culture of a small loving town, with wonderful people.

My four days in Kuching was no doubt filled with work, but the great thing is that, this time, I got to spend more time sight-seeing and eating around town as compared to my first trip to this "Cat"town.

Being in Kuching as an Ipoh-KL girl makes me pretty distinctive in that small town - I think I felt people looking at me different, as in they knew that I'm from out of town and doesn't fit in. And they are really nice. In big cities, people do not treat you that way if they know that you are from somewhere else. They won't make you feel belong, let alone make you feel special.

Kuching people are very down-to-earth and humble - even a Datuk doesn't act all snobbish to a point where you actually forgot that you are dealing and talking to a Datuk. Our client is a Datuk and we kept calling him by his first name, to a point where we forgot that he is a Datuk.

When we arrived, we went for a delicious curry chicken rice meal, very famous in Kuching because you keep hearing people talk about where's the best place for curry chicken rice. After lunch and a long day at the client's office, we proceeded to dinner quite late but we managed to indulge in local food such as kuo chip pan tiew (ketchup keuy tiew), kolo mee, o-jian and roasted chicken. Our first night was made more interesting when we found a new toy called the 'arrow helicopters' - the toy basically consist of 2 components - an elastic rubber band and 2 flaps with lights. Using the rubber band, you launch your flaps into the air and they shall spin like colourful coppers in the air before slower descending in mid-air. The lights make the whole thing very beautiful, especially at night. It's quite fun to play with, especially if you are competing as to who can launch the copper higher. But me being me, I had to hurt myself when playing this. I sprung the flaps wrongly and the launch into my middle finger - i felt the burning sensation instantly and it was hurting like mad I was so worried that I might have lost a middle finger. I guess it's God's way of telling me to use my middle finger more appropriately.

Before we knew it, the sun rises on the us and we greeted our second day early. It was off to the client's office. But dinner was kind as we went Italian! I LOVE ITALIAN (among other things)!!!!!!!! So ya, it was great to be greeted by an assortment of cheesy (literally) Italian dishes such as pasta, pizza, etc. It was a happy meal.

Third night was awesome too as I met up with my friend from Kuching. Had dinner at one of those well-known cafes in Kuching and although the meal was simple, we had some great laughs that made the whole night super special.

Then it was the fourth night. Our clients brought us, together with the media to one of Kuching's most famous seafood spot - aptly named Top Spot. We were treated like kings (oh well, the food is for the media but we rode along hahaha) as we were impressed with almost 9 different dishes - all famous dishes from Kuching. I gloated with glee at the sight of the food but then sad that we can't finish most it.

After a few days of, well considered half laid back working, we were back to serious business for our event. It was really late nights as usual, basically just getting things ready for the big day.

Generally, I realized that it is safe to say that Kuching people are different from KL folks; they take things in a slower motion - well I guess they are less hectic and more relax in that way. In some ways it is good, but I guess if we are looking at progress, sometimes, this could be a drawback. I mean, if it takes a waiter takes more 20 minutes to get the bill or more than 20 minutes to provide you with a Menu, it speaks volume about their style of work. Oh well....at least they are nice. We can't complain.
KL people are always on the go - we want things done fast and we are always chasing time....perhaps we should slow down? Well, only you can tell which life suits you more.

SO KUCHING?
Great place to relax and enjoy food...but perhaps, not work hahaha.

Have fun folks.

With Lotsa Love
TammyC

No comments:

Post a Comment